Thursday, December 24, 2009

Counting my blessings........

Today is Christmas eve, and due to the busy schedule that accompanies the holiday, we're celebrating Christmas with my family today, and Elvis's family tomorrow. Our family doesn't relate to Christmas in a spiritual manner, we prefer to celebrate by just enjoying being together, opening presents, playing games and eating nice big meals. Its great. I'm 29 years old and I still look forward to it with the same sense of anticipation and joy I had as a kid, maybe even more so since I get to watch my kids bubble over with their eager excitement.

But, I'm aware now of how, as a Christian, it isn't really appropriate to do Christmas without acknowledging Christ, for us, we should not let this day, pass without bringing Him into it, and acknowledging that the birth of Christ was the biggest and most amazing gift we could ever receive. So, today I'm going to go to Christmas eve service at our church with Elvis, this will have a two fold benefit I believe. One, we're going to go to church and top up our spiritual tanks, and praise God for all he's done and for the love and blessings He pours out each minute of each day, and two, we're going to go to church together, for the first time since July, since before our separation, and show ourselves to our little community, as a unit once more. I'm excited!

Presents aside, it's impossible on a day like today, to not be incredibly aware of my blessings and their source. I have so many, I truly am a rich woman.

I have great parents, who are still taking care of my sisters and me, and our families.

I have great sisters, who are friends and family in one, they're the best.

I have a husband, and I can't help but think of how just a few weeks ago I was imagining spending this holiday without him, I'm grateful I never had to find out what that felt like. I have a husband, and a partner, who is working with me on a new and love filled life, and he is amazing.

I have a family, a big family, extended family and in laws, and we have so much between us, always a home to visit in, a place to celebrate, and I know that isn't the norm for everyone, we are so lucky.

I have a job, my husband has a job, we are able to care for ourselves and our children and our extended families if need be, we can do it, we want for nothing.

We have schools and stores, and Dr's and health care and cars and churches and friends and family and clothing and food and toys and extra's, we're rich beyond words, even when we have no money in our bank accounts, we're rich beyond words.

It's Christmas, and I'm spending it with my family, and there's a blissful and familiar warmth and rhythm to our togetherness, its ageless, I feel the exact same today in my parents house with my husband and children as I did back when my sisters and I were the children. Its good. Its warm and its safe and it's full of a special sort of Christmas happiness and energy that you don't feel just everyday.

So, I'm counting my blessings today, and they are so plentiful. Too many to list, and I am so thankful for all I've been given.

How blessed are we!

Katie

0 comments:

Post a Comment