Friday, February 5, 2010

Something new and exciting.....

Tomorrow is the launch of my new home business. I'm nervous and excited all at once. This is new, and its unknown, but its got me revved up and eager to see what I can do, so that's a good thing.

I learned about his business from a friend, who I am sure was seeking the same things I am. A challenge, and a change. I love nursing, I do, its rewarding, exciting, and pays well, but I'm starting to feel a little one dimensional and stale, I wanted something that would refresh me.

I feel fortunate that my friend told me about this business, because I feel like its going to satisfy a few needs of mine.

1. Its going to provide a challenge and a change.
2. Its going to provide additional income.
3. Its going to provide the opportunity for socializing.
and last but not least..
4. Its going to provide a boost to my personal style, a big bonus for sure.

I remember back when Elvis and I first started dating. I had just lost a bunch of weight, and I was 21 years old and in college, and I had a style. I had a look. And I think I looked good. But time, and kids, and grief, and stress, and business, have all taken their toll and I find myself looking nothing at all like the Katie of 8 years ago. I know I can't be that version of me again, but I can definitely revamp this version! I want style, I want flair, I want there to be something special about me. Most of all, I want to catch my husbands eye again.

So, I'm starting a new business, and a new adventure. Selling really lovely and unique jewelry. I get to be a personal stylist, a shopping assistant, to ladies with style, or maybe to ladies like me, who are seeking a change, who are looking to add back some sparkle to their looks and their lives! This is exciting!

But, I'm nervous too. It's a step outside my comfort zone. And its a commitment. It will take time and effort and planning and perseverance. It's not something I take lightly, and I want to succeed. I want to give it my best efforts and I want to make this business something I can be excited about and proud of for some time. Eventually, when I get my groove and get established, I'd like to help other women get started with their own business, and see them reap the benefits as well!

And I can't help but think of the extra income and about how my family will benefit from my hard work. Not that we're not doing alright for ourselves right now, but we've fallen into some debt traps over the years that we're still climbing out of, and there are little things here and there we'd like to buy that we have held off on, and its exciting to think that any extra income I generate will help us to pay down debts and treat ourselves.

I'm a day dreamer, what can I say. I make plans, big plans, I see them in my head like a movie, and I get very, very excited! I always have, and I suspect I always will. Tomorrow I get to test the waters. I get to see how this business will work, how it will run, how people will respond. Its my first run at it, and I'm nervous, and afraid of failure, so I've turned to scripture for some advice and encouragement, and guess what? It never fails!

On the topic of being afraid, and uncertain about this new adventure I found this....

James 1:2 says
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds.

2 Timothy 1:7 says
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

I need to face this task with excitement and joy, I need to take this challenge as an opportunity to trust in God, and to praise Him, because He has equipped me with what I need to do this well. How's that for motivation!

But, scripture also yields a warning....

Ecclesiastes 5:10 says
10 Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness!11 The more you have, the more people come to help you spend it. So what good is wealth—except perhaps to watch it slip through your fingers!

I have to be sure to not get consumed with making money, so much that it distracts me from my life's true riches, my husband, my children, our family and our home. More money does not mean more happiness, and this is a mind set both Elvis and I need to work hard to break. More things do not equal more happiness, and having more money will mean absolutely nothing at all if the time and effort it takes to make it takes me from my family excessively.

And finally, on the matter of what to do with my extra income....

1 Timothy 5:8 says
8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

I need to use it to provide for my family. I need to use it to lessen my husbands burden and provide for my kids. That is my first priority. The temptation of course is to use my profits to spoil myself, to buy myself little pick me ups and luxuries, its crossed my mind more then once. But I'm going to be certain to make sure I use any money earned by my new business to care for Elvis and Avery and Landon first, and charity second in Everett's name. There are many charities that touch our hearts, and I look forward to contributing to their cause. And lastly, when there's money left over, I will allow myself a treat here or there, because taking care of me is important, but not my first priority.

Wish me luck! Tomorrow I'm embarking on a new career and a fresh new challenge. I'm nervous but prepared. And even if I start off slow, I am determined to keep at it, persisting and enjoying the challenge, and using it to do some good for my family and others. I'll keep you posted!

Katie

0 comments:

Post a Comment