Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dear Avery (a letter to my girl)....

Do not be afraid.

There are no monsters under your bed (your bed frame actually has no "under", but that's not the point), there are no monsters in your room, or in our house.

Nothing is coming to get you, I promise.

Mama and Daddy are here and you are safe.

And you have God watching over you always.

So please don't cry.

Please don't wake in the night in a panic, your scared cries scare us, and hurt our hearts.

Please rest easily. You are four years old and should have no worries or cares.

Your life is simple and you have nothing to fear or fret over.

We all get scared, but we're fortunate to have our faith, and our God, who protects and loves beyond measure and comprehension. God knows his plans for you and has known them before you were even conceived. He is in charge, and He loves you, so please, do not be afraid. I'd do anything to calm your fears and remove that worried look from your precious baby face.

Isaiah 41:10
10 Don’t panic. I’m with you.
There’s no need to fear for I’m your God.
I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you.
I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.


There is no need to fear.

But how do you make a four year old grasp that concept? The world is a scary place sometimes. Every bump in the night, every regular "house noise", can be quite concerning. And even benign things like characters in books can manifest in dreams as something spooky and frightening. And children as young as Avery, they don't necessarily grasp the concept of God that well. They're learning, they're wrapping their minds around it, they're open to the idea, but they don't understand, how an invisible God provides very real assurance and security in a scary world. Poor kids.

Dear Avery, I promise you that Daddy and I will protect you always, and we'll do our best to instill in you a deep understanding of God's love and promises, so you can grow in faith and trust in your security in this big world. God's got you, always, and you never need to fear, not ever, though I know you will. Trust God, then trust me, a girl as loved and cared for as you has nothing to worry over. Don't lose sleep tonight. God's light drives out all the worlds darkness!

Love Mama!

0 comments:

Post a Comment