Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mans best friend.....

There's talk going on in our house. Talk of adding a new addition to the family, and no, I don't mean a baby (though I wish that's what we were talking about!). Elvis and I are talking amongst ourselves, about getting the kids a puppy. After listening to Avery talk about getting one, with unshakable certainty, and weighing out the pros and cons of pet ownership, it seems we're definitely leaning towards getting our family a furry companion.

I wonder if its an intrinsic want, that all kids come to on their own, to want a dog. We've never had a dog, and we don't know many who do have one, and yet, they have both gravitated to dogs in their own way. Avery talks about "her puppy" as though she already owns one, and Landon plays with every dog he sees as though it is is own, its enough to melt your heart. Kids are clever like that!

So, yesterday we went looking for puppies, "just to see what's out there" we told ourselves. We found ourselves at the 400 Flea Market, we had no idea they had puppies there until we found ourselves at their booth, cooing over a variety of breeds of puppies. I had a fabulous cuddle with a little tri-color Shih-poo baby boy. I love it. If I could have, I would have stuffed him in my jacket and brought him home with us right then and there. I saw it on Elvis's face too, that puppy love. And now we're trying to rearrange the budget to accommodate a furry friend, those puppies aren't cheap! (haha, like my pun?).

Now, not everyone we know thinks a dog is a great idea, so we did our research and have found conclusive evidence that childhood is not complete without a dog! See the following quotes:


"No symphony orchestra ever played music like a two-year-old girl laughing with a puppy." -Bern Williams


"A house is not a home until it has a dog."-Gerald Durrell


"Every puppy should have a boy." - Erma Bombeck


See! It would be deprivation to not give our kids a dog! After all, we had dogs growing up, and I remember them fondly. Elvis's parents have a dog to this day, so do many of his siblings. Dogs are good I think. Small dogs are even better!

So, it looks like a dog will join our family in the near future! I can hardly wait to see the looks on Avery and Landon's faces when we bring that sweet pup home for the first time. I expect to see pure joy and have the pictures to remember it by!

Katie

1 comments:

donna7 said...

Dear Katie, my friend and sister in the Lord. You are such a kind and beautiful person. I appreciate your strength in Christ. Thank you for always being so open and honest. I wish you all the blessings that God can bestow on your life.

Your idob friend and sister in Christ,
Donna (donna7)

Post a Comment